Holiday Programme a big hit with Harbour students
07 Oct, 2016
During week 1 of the Term 3 School Holidays, students from all over the North Shore flocked to the Harbour Hockey facility in Albany for a two day Multi Sport Holiday Programme.
The two day holiday programme was run by AFL New Zealand, Harbour Hockey, Harbour Volleyball and OnBoard Skate in collaboration with Harbour Sport and was a component of a KiwiSport project being run in the region where the four sports are delivering to over 2000 Intermediate students in the region.
The focus of the project was female participation along with the Holiday programme component and was designed to give the opportunity for students to try new and different sports.
Trying new sports at a young age can help students with;
- Fundamental Skills- Kick, Catch, Pass, Jump, Strike
- Health – Increasing physical activity
- Confidence – Improving skills helps keep kids more active
- Environment – Having the opportunity to try new sports and learn new skills in a comfortable environment (within the school grounds)
- Social – Chance to meet new friends
Students from the following Schools were involved with Holiday programme:
- Orewa College
- Takapuna Normal Intermediate School
- Murrays Bay Intermediate
With the success of the recent Holiday Programme, the four sports will come together again to put on another Holiday programme during the Term 1 holidays in 2017.
Information on this programme and flyers will be distributed during Term 1 in 2017.
Furthermore, Students from this project have enjoyed AFL and signed up to the AFL New Zealand Youth Competition which commences Sunday the 16th of October to further their fundamental skills. If you want to sign up, head to http://youth.aflnz.co.nz/