AFL New Zealand Academy to play Mornington Peninsula
20 Feb, 2017
The Level 2 AFL New Zealand Hawks Academy will play a 2 game series against the Mornington Peninsula BlueScope Steelers from Victoria in Auckland over the ANZAC Day weekend.
This is the first time a team from Mornington Peninsula BlueScope Steelers will travel to New Zealand and the League is looking forward to the 5 day trip. President of the region Andrew Souter and his Committee, has been successful in creating an annual fixture between the two teams and this has been supplemented by a Youth Girls team also being represented in a two match series against the New Zealand Kahu.
The tour will have a variety of cultural, football and friendship experiences available to the travelling teams. The itinerary will include;
- A welcome function on arrival to unite New Zealand and Mornington participants in preparation for the tour ahead
- Two matches against New Zealand Representative teams;
- The opportunity to experience the New Zealand Haka as a challenge of respect.
- Attendance at the AFL New Zealand High Performance Awards Function
- After match functions with the presentation of awards
- Attendance at the ANZAC day dawn service on the morning of April 25th
The Under 16 Boys have the added incentive of playing at Wellingtons Westpac Stadium as a curtain raiser to the Australian Under 17 vs New Zealand Seniors, which is sure to attract interest.
For those who will be touring New Zealand outside of the nominated touring party. The opportunity is available to purchase tickets for the High Performance Awards function, click here.
Following on from the ANZAC Day weekend, AFL New Zealand will have an Under 18 National team travel to Mornington in Melbourne where they will firstly link with local clubs before playing a game against local opposition and a chance to visit the home of AFL for a great experience.