Kahu preparation on track ahead of Port Adelaide tour
01 Nov, 2018
The New Zealand Kahu Youth Girls are right in to the swing of things in preparation for the upcoming Port Adelaide tour which culminates in a game on November 24th at QBE Stadium.
The squad have been training together on a weekly basis for the past month and are looking to extend their four game winning streak.
The Port Adelaide Women’s Indigenous Academy will tour New Zealand in November this year and will for the majority of the squad, it will be their first visit to Aotearoa.
The trip follows the successful tour of the Boy’s Indigenous Academy trip in December last year.
The tour will have a variety of cultural, football and friendship experiences available to the travelling teams. The itinerary will include;
- Experiencing Māori cultural performances at Mitai Maori Village in Rotorua
- Relaxing in the Polynesian Spa
- Experiencing the Pōhutu geyser at Puia Geothermal Park
- Rafting down the rapids of the Kaituna River
- Hiking one of the best walks in New Zealand on the Tongariro Crossing
- A welcome function on arrival to unite New Zealand and Port Adelaide participants in preparation for the tour ahead
- The opportunity to experience the New Zealand Haka as a challenge of respect.
- A match against the New Zealand Kahu Youth Girls side at QBE Stadium
- After match functions and presentation of awards including a Māori feast prepared in the traditional Hangi style.
In May 2018, the Port Adelaide Football Club launched its Australian-first Women’s Aboriginal AFL Academy.
Following the success over the past four years of the club’s Aboriginal AFL Academy for young men, the club has expanded the program to include a female-only academy.
The Aboriginal AFL Academy program consists of the following.
- Completing a Certificate III in Fitness
- Mentoring from Port Adelaide Football Club players, coaches and staff
- Compete in football games and training workshops
- Individual training and fitness program
- International Travel
The game will take place on Saturday, November 24th at QBE Stadium in Albany, Auckland. Entry is Free.