After listening to a presentation from AFLNZ, I was left wondering whether the opportunity to be involved in AFL junior coaching might suit one of my Gateway students. This particular student was keen to become involved with the NZ Police but had been told by the Police recruitment staff that he would need to further develop his communication skills. I could see how the chance to have his placement with AFLNZ would strengthen these skills..
The opportunity to help facilitate the AFLNZ junior coaching programme has provided our year 13 student with the confidence he needed. Working alongside the AFL facilitators, students and school staff has given our student the means to really focus on his verbal interaction and what it takes to become an effective communicator.
I have been really impressed with the coaching programme AFLNZ have put in place and how well this can work for Gateway placements. Our student has been well supported by the AFLNZ team and has thoroughly enjoyed his time with them.
AFL New Zealand can provide Gateway students with the perfect opportunity to gain experience within the Sports coaching industry delivering the AFL Kiwikick programme to Primary and Intermediate school students.
- Majority of placement will be practical, hands on in nature
- Develop communication skills between students, school staff, colleagues and employer
- Managing a group and resources to deliver a successful session
- AFLNZ Coaching accreditation
- Potential employment opportunities
AFL NZ will provide:
- Guidance and feedback after each session and a formalised review at week 4 and week 8
- Roster each week emailed to student and gateway coordinator
- A Staff member, resources and equipment required to assist with AFL Kiwikick programme
- AFL Kiwikick resource manual DVD
- AFL Kiwikick 8 week Lesson plan Booklet
- After 2 weeks of placement – AFL Kiwikick shirt and whistle
One day a week for a minimum of 6 weeks is the recommended length of time a student does placement with AFL New Zealand. The AFL Kiwikick programmes are run in school hours however would be expected to complete all necessary duties of an AFL NZ Coach when on placement.
There are no costs involved with having students on placement, apart from that of transport to place of work.Click here to contact Mick Coultard, National Secondary Schools Coordinator, today for further information or call him on 027 2050054.