The ‘Hawks Cup’ is an Inter School competition format for Junior (years 9/10) and Senior (year 11/13) students based on fundamental movement and ball skills for boys and girls.
The programme provides introductory sessions and resources presented by qualified AFL New Zealand Staff to introduce a new and dynamic sport to students. The skills of ‘Kick, Catch, Pass and Bounce’ are perfectly matched to cross reference any number of sports. The 9 a side format is suitable for rugby size fields and with three reserves per team, team numbers are easy to coordinate.
AFL New Zealand is sanctioned by Secondary School Sports Council and appears in their calendar. All schools are provided with the opportunity to participate in localised cluster tournaments that run for two hours to ensure both travel and time commitments are minimized. The Hawks Cup culminates in North Island and South Island Championships with Seniors held in Term 1 and Juniors Term 4, every year.Download a Registration Form
- A new sport providing a level playing field for all students
- Involvement of local club and staff personnel to guide and coach participants
- Transferable skill development to other sports
- Promoting and increasing physical activity for students
- Links to participation pathways including New Zealand representation and International Scholarships
- Invitations to AFL New Zealand National Combines and High Performance Programme
- Rules and regulations for the school and participants
- Footballs, goal posts, line markers
- Coaching and umpiring staff facilitators
Each school receives 15 hours of AFL New Zealand staff contact time to assist in sessions to engage interest, team organisation and training requirements. These can take place during lunch times, after school or even during class times.
Registration fee for the Hawks Cup is $180+gst per school regardless of number of teams entered. This includes 15 hours contact in the lead up entry into both Regional Cluster tournaments and north or South Island Championships. AFL New Zealand is involved in funded programmes that can reduce costs for your school in some cases.
You must log in to post a comment.