This programme focuses on the fundamental movement skills and a number of modified games to reach the end product of playing a game of AFL.
This is a great introduction to AFL and its fundamental movement skills of Kick, Catch, Pass and Bounce. The programme can be combined with junior class units of work, linking to curriculum and lead into AFL House rules (Intra School competition) and/ or Secondary School AFL Cup (Inter school Competition).
- Provides an afinity to the sport
- Develop skills that can be transferred across codes
- Leads into a Player Pathway for the students, promoting and increasing physical activity
- Links to curriculum – Ball Sports, International Sports, Evasion games, Invasion games
Session Overview & Content:
Learning the basic skills and quickly getting into fun modified games developing into a game of AFL.
- The Skills: The basics of the fundamental skills for AFL and used in modified games.
- Play AFL: playing a game of AFL. Modified to suit classes needs.
- 2 in class sessions – can be more to suit.
- Any Rugby or Soccer field is sufficient to play AFL, if fields are closed or there’s bad weather, courts or gym works really well.
- All resources in the form of footballs, portable posts and field set up will be supplied by AFL NZ.
- We will also provide the AFL Secondary Schools booklet, so when we leave you can continue to play.
$30 + gst is the cost for an AFL New Zealand Coach for 1 hour per class up to 30. We recommend
Introduction to AFL is conducted over two sessions. AFL New Zealand is involved in funded programmes that can reduce costs for your school in some cases.
Click here to contact Mick Coultard, National Secondary Schools Coordinator, today for further information or call him on 027 2050054.