Harbour Youth Programme a big success
22 Dec, 2020
AFL New Zealand would like to acknowledge the Auckland Councils’ involvement in supporting the 2020 North Harbour Youth Programme.
Auckland Council have played a vital role in assisting the programme with funding to ensure AFL New Zealand can continue to provide opportunities for everyone within the community to play AFL.
The North Harbour location included U12, U14 and U17 Boy’s and Girl’s grades, along with a host of local Coaches from the community.
AFL New Zealand created its Youth Programme for new players to participate in the sport of AFL. It has a focus on improving athletes’ skills and fitness within a fun environment. This is achieved through a training, game and development programme that highlights the necessary requirements throughout the pathway.
The programme involves a combination of skill development – kicking, catching, passing and bouncing , game play and personal development. This combination will lead to a number of opportunities for participants which include, AFL New Zealand Academy selection, New Zealand representation, National Combine selection, access to talent scouts and AFL International Scholarships.
- Current director, Liza McNally, elected Deputy Chair of AFL New Zealand
- History maker: Bramwell claims first ever Women’s Best and Fairest award
- Albany Junior High falling in love with AFL
- Joint winners: Donnell-Brown and Murray share 2021 Best and Fairest award
- 2021 Women’s Premiership Team of the Year