AFL Secondary School Competition Programmes allow students to participate in the new and dynamic sport of AFL.
- A new sport providing a level playing field for all students
- Involvement of local club and staff personnel to guide and coach participants
- Transferable skill development to other sports
- Promoting and increasing physical activity for students
- Links to participation pathways including New Zealand representation and International Scholarships
- Invitations to AFL New Zealand National Combines and High Performance Programme
- School, class or house pride, with competitions against equivalent teams.
- Matches are played on rugby or football fields for ease of play.
- Teams are 9 a side, so easy to coordinate.
- The skills used are ideal for participants in other sporting codes.
Resources provided by AFL New Zealand:
- Coaching and rules manuals for the school and participants
- Footballs, goal posts, line markers
- Coaching and umpiring staff facilitators
- Trophies and spot prizes
AFL Secondary School Competition Programmes
The Hawks Cup is an Inter School competition for Junior (years 9/10) and Senior (year 11/13) students.
Junior competitions take place in term 4, Senior competitions in term 1.
All schools participate in localised cluster tournaments that run for two hours to ensure both travel and time commitments are minimised.
The Hawks Cup culminates in North Island and South Island Championships.
AFL New Zealand is sanctioned by the Secondary School Sports Council and appears in their calendar.[next_button color=”yellow” link=”http://staging4.aflnz.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Junior-Hawks-Cup-2014-Registration-Form-1.pdf”]Download a Registration Form[/next_button]
Each school receives 15 hours of AFL New Zealand staff contact time to assist in sessions to engage interest, team organisation and training requirements. These can take place during lunch times, after school or even during class times.
Registration fee for the Hawks Cup is $180+gst per school regardless of the number of male, female, junior or senior teams entered. This includes 15 hours contact in the lead up entry into both Regional Cluster tournaments and north or South Island Championships. AFL New Zealand is involved in funded programmes that can reduce costs for your school in some cases.
AFL House Rules is a programme that involves intra-school AFL competition.
The competition takes place at a venue determined by your school, most often within your own school grounds, to alleviate travel costs for the school and the participants.
House Rules provides sporting opportunities to more students beyond the elite school representative teams.
The format is a perfect for competition between classes or houses and can be played by boys, girls or in a mixed format that utilises touch, tag or tackle modifications.
AFL House Rules can be combined with a number of other AFL NZ Secondary School programmes to involve coordination by fellow students and curriculum based activities, or as a selection trial for your Hawks Cup team.
The competition takes place over a minimum of six weeks and can be held at lunch time, in association with school classes or directly after school and at any time during the year.
$180 + Gst will secure your AFL House Rules Competition. AFL New Zealand is involved in funded programmes that can reduce costs for your school in some cases.[next_button color=”red” link=”mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org”]Click here to contact Mick Coultard, National Secondary Schools Coordinator, for further information or call him on 027 2050054. [/next_button]