AFL Secondary School Curriculum programmes provide students with the opportunity to develop leadership, coaching, communication and organisational skills.
- Practical environment for educational assessments
- Structured session plans to assist designated outcomes
- Transferable skill development to other sports: playing, coaching, umpiring, management
- Promoting and increasing physical activity for students
- Accreditation and professional development for teachers and students
- AFL self sufficiency within your school
- Potential employment
Resources provided by AFL New Zealand:
- Coaching booklets
- Equipment relevant to delivery of sessions and tournament
- Staff to assist with game day management
- Spot prizes and Trophy where applicable
AFL New Zealand is involved in funded programmes that can reduce costs for your school in some cases. Programme costs are dependent on time, sessions, staff involved, commitment to resource kits and ongoing activity and the combination of programmes undertaken by the school.
AFL Secondary School Curriculum Programmes
AFL Leadership takes on the concept of students provided with leadership skills and the capability of running a tournament within their own school or at local primary and intermediate schools. Sessions focus on the elements of game understanding, coaching, umpiring and game and event management.
$420 + gst will secure your AFL Leadership programme.
- Time spent can vary and is recommended AFL Leadership programme runs over 6 – 8 Practical sessions for your Leaders followed by 6 weeks of AFL House rules tournament delivered by your Leaders with the assistance of AFL NZ
- Practical sessions can be conducted during class sessions with the House Rules competition during Lunchtimes, after school or time that suits
Coach the Coaches
Coach the Coaches takes a look at the fundamentals of AFL and the AFL Kiwikick programme. After 6 – 8 practical structured sessions your students will assist delivery of the AFL Kiwikick programme in local Primary or Intermediate schools in your area.
Coach the Coaches can and has been used for students being assessed for NCEA achievement standards or NZQA Unit Standards. Coach the Coaches is also available to tertiary institutes.
- Time spent can vary and recommended that the Coach the Coaches programme runs for a minimum of 6 and up to 8 in class sessions.
- The AFL Kiwikick programme is delivered to the Primary and Intermediate Schools one day a week for 6 weeks in school. This provides students the opportunity to deliver their coaching session as either part of or the full AFL Kiwikick programme.
- To obtain AFL Kiwikick Coach Level O accreditation students are required to deliver a minimum of 4 sessions and 8 sessions for AFL Kiwikick Coach Level 1
$240 + gst will secure your Coach the Coaches programme. AFL New Zealand is involved in funded programmes that can reduce costs for your school in some cases. Programme costs are dependent on time, sessions, staff involved, commitment to resource kits and ongoing activity and the combination of programmes undertaken by the school.[next_button color=”red” link=”mailto:email@example.com”]Click here to contact Mick Coultard, National Secondary Schools Coordinator, today for further information or call him on 027 2050054. [/next_button]