Tigers roar as the Saints scrape home against Blues

The North Shore Tigers scored a thumping 71 win over the Manurewa Raiders and the Waitakere Magpies held off a gallant Howick Hornets side to win by 11 goals. In the match of the round, it was a see saw battle at Colin Maiden Park as the Mt Roskill Saints got over the line by 2 goals defeating the University Blues.


Waitakere Magpies vs Howick Hornets

8th October, 2.00pm, Parrs Park, Oratia.


The Magpies came into the game not knowing Howick game style and didn’t want to take them lightly as they day been playing good footy against all opponents so far this season.

The Hornets had the defending premiers rattled early on with multiple inside 50’s but were unable to convert.

Waitakere clicked into gear half way through the first quarter and managed to kick 6 straight goals to hold a healthy lead at the first break.

Howick came out strong in the second term and kicked there first of the game and were hot on attack continually in the Magpies defence. A master move from coach Craig Goodhue saw captain Shane Leat push up to the halfback line mid-way through the quarter which proved effective stopping Howick’s attack. Waitakere strung together a number of skilful passages with Joel Griffiths and Carlos Donnell Brown delivering strong accurate footy into the forwards to keep the scoreboard ticking over.

Waitakere Kept the scoreboard pressure high in the third quarter with great defensive play from David Rattenbury, Josh Copeland and Nico Donnell-Brown running the ball out of the backline and contesting everything to hold Howick out to 1 goal. Debutant Jordan Pereira produced a stellar game in the ruck tapping it directly to his midfielders all game.

Howick managed to finish with four goals in the final quarter but it was Magpies winning by 11 goals to stay perched at the top of the Auckland AFL ladder.

Happy with the performance we put in this week and it was much needed. Howick are a strong team who are definitely going to cause and upset, but we knew the job we had to do and this was the performance we have been needing all season. Still got a lot to work on, but we are beginning to play as the team we were last season.” Magpies Captain Shane Leat.


University Blues vs Mt Roskill Saints

8th October, 2.00pm, Colin Maiden Park.


It was the match of the round between the University Blues and the Mt Roskill Saints and both boasted similar squads with a good mix of national representation and young talent.

The last time the two sides met was in the 2016 semi finals where University just got over the line to make the Grand Final.

A three goal to one first quarter from the Saints gave them the early advantage. Will Dickinson was instrumental in the middle for the Saints right from the first bounce and continued his form throughout the game.

University worked themselves back into the game in the second keeping Mt Roskill scoreless for the quarter. Former New Zealand representative David Cory Toussaint was in good touch for University while James Williams and Ashleigh Orr were getting it done in the middle of the ground.

The Saints returned the favour in defence in the third quarter by keeping the Blues to only three behinds and kicking three goals to snatch back the lead heading into the final term. Key defender Michael Boyce playing a big role down back for Mt Roskill.

An even final quarter meant that the Saints held on for a two goal victory and buried the demons from their semi final loss last year.

It is University’s third straight loss and will face a determined Manurewa side next Sunday at Colin Maiden Park.


Manurewa Raiders vs North Shore Tigers

8th October, 2.00pm, Mountfort Park, Manurewa.


After the week off due to the AFL Grand Grand Final the in form North Shore Tigers returned to Mountfort Park sporting a new look forward line with regular defenders Beau Phillips and Andriu Sucu both getting an opportunity up front.

Early forward pressure saw the Tigers off to a good start when Rhys Pegoraro was able to kick a goal from 50 metres to open the scoring. The scoring continued in the first half with Phillips and Sucu both adding to the goal tally.

The Raiders were not about to be walked over and launched a fight back in the second quarter led by a strong performance of ruckman Josh Allen and Brandon Maihi in the middle. Their defensive pressure made it very difficult for the Tigers to exit their defensive 50 metres and were rewarded with a couple goals to their score sheet.

The second half saw the Tigers pick up their endeavour and some strong runs out of the backline through Dane Strickland and Jake Tucker saw the game open up. Captain Jackson Clince was clinical again and gained dominance in the middle of the park.

The Tigers forward line looked very strong in the second half with strong marks being taken by all the forwards and raking up a 16 goal tally was a very respectable total to put on the scoreboard.

With a number of Tigers putting their hand up for selection in next week’s top of the table clash with Waitakere it leaves some difficult decisions for Tigers Coach Mitch Ryan. The question on everyone’s mind will be how the Tigers forward’s line up following Andriu Sucu’s 5 goals. Will he be rewarded with another run upfront or sent back to help defend the Magpies attack???



Story – AAFL