Waitakere swoop on Hornets and Saints march on in AAFL

The Waitakere Magpies have gone a long way to securing a finals spot in round 6 with a solid win over the Howick Hornets.


In the remaining games, University were big winners over the Manurewa Raiders while the Mt Roskill Saints came from behind to defeat the North Shore Tigers by 7 points at War Memorial Park.


University Blues vs Manurewa Raiders

6th October, Colin Maiden Park, Glen Innes.

The red hot Uni Blues hosted the Manurewa Raiders at Colin Maiden Park on Sunday and they were on form for the majority of the game.

The Blue’s burst out of the gates early and had the Raiders on the back foot early as they kicked 3 goals within the first 5 minutes.

Seb Serrano and Noel Green were providing some good link play into the forward line.

Manurewa came out in the second quarter with intensity and showed what the guys are capable of when the combinations start to click. Vandyn Hartman and Ronan Morling combined well in the middle for Raiders and trouble their opposition with their fast feet.

The relentless goal scoring continued for most of the first half as Uni’s intent to be deadly in front of goal resulted in a 12.0 score at half time.

In the second half, Manurewa put together some real strong passages of footy as University became a little complacent but they still managed to convert their opportunities and ran away with a big win and cement their position at the top of the ladder.

“A good hitout this week, Rewa showed their true potential in patches which will be dangerous for teams coming up and we managed to implement some of our new learnings which will be helpful moving forward.” University Coach, Chris Mundell.

“Cannot fault the effort the guys put in week in week out. Always a tough test coming to Uni but the lads can take confidence from some of the play produced against the benchmark team of the comp.” Jordan Thompson.

Waitakere Magpies vs Howick Hornets

6th October, Parrs Park, Oratia.

In a special day for the Waitakere Football Club, the home side were looking to put on a big performance for their Old Boys and first home game of the season.

The Magpies welcomed back NZ Representative Aaron Harris who played his first game for the Magpies since 2010 and was dominant in the ruck all game.

The home side opted to use the wind in the first quarter and looked to provide scoreboard pressure early on.

The first quarter was played all in the Magpies half with the Hornets struggling to trouble the scoreboard. The game was tough in the clinches and better ball use from the Magpies proved the difference.

Dan McGregor continues to dominate in the air taking everything that was coming his way, he was complimented well with Dusan Hakaraia winding back the clock kicking 5 goals for the game.

It wasn’t until the second quarter that the Hornets were able to kick their first major of the game but Waitakere were still on top and dominating the contest.

Jonny Aalbers and Jordan Hearn continue to get better and better with more game time and control the play down the wing week in, week out for the Magpies.

The Magpies backline continues to get better and better only allowing 1 goal in the first half and 4 for the game. Josh Copeland was solid as usual not allowing any marks to be taken which went a long way to keep the scoring to a minimum while Zac King had the job of looking after 2018 Best and Fairest winner Jay Green and did a great job to keep his ball use to a minimum.

The Hornets created a stir early in the last term with 2 quick goals in succession to bring them within 2 goals, but the momentum changed after a goal from a 50 metre penalty and Waitakere kicked 5 unanswered goals to claim the victory.

“Howick really took it to us today and showed how good they can be, but we really stuck to our game plan and were able to pull away with the win. We continue to improve week in an week out and look forward to seeing what more we can produce for the rest of the season.” Waitakere Captain, Shane Leat.

Mt Roskill Saints vs North Shore Tigers

6th October, War Memorial Park, Mt Roskill.

Following a lacklustre performance against Waitakere, the North Shore Tigers travelled to Mt Roskill to take on the Saints.

The visitors came out the blocks well and brought the intensity that was missing the week prior. Neither side gave each other a sniff early on and it was well into the quarter before the Tigers put some points on the board with goals to Brad Connor and Justin Du Toit.

The Saints backline stayed organised throughout and ruckman Kirk Murray took some great intercept marks.

The battle continued in the second quarter with both sides very evenly matched and scoring opportunities were few and far between.

Mt Roskill lost Sam McKenzie to injury in the second quarter and that was the catalyst for the other Saints to step up their intensity.

Managing to cling onto the lead at half time the Tigers knew they needed to lift and they came out in the third prepared to run and move the footy through the middle of the park, although some strong Saints defence restricted them to only one goal for the quarter.

In a game that could have gone either way, the final quarter began and with the Tigers working into a slight breeze the 7 point buffer was going to be tough to defend. An early lapse in the backline allowed the Saints to capitalise and bring the scores within 1 point.

It was the Saints who rolled the dice and found the middle sticks and claimed the win late in the piece.

“Really happy with the effort from the team. Last time we played the Tigers we were up in the final quarter only for them to kick the last 3 of the game. It was great to reverse that with us finishing strong and closing it out in a tight one. It shows some great development in our team over the last month and a half.” Sam McKenzie.

“I couldn’t fault the effort the boys showed today, we showed glimpses of what we can do when we take the game on. Unfortunately a couple lapses let us down and ultimately cost us the game.” Tigers Coach, Sean Mayes.

Story – AAFL.co.nz

Image – Avatar Sports Shots