Matt Cawley has signed on to coach the Western Crows for the 2021 AFL New Zealand Premiership.
It will be Matt’s second season in charge of the club after he took over from Chris Mundell following the 2019 season.
Matt led the Crows to their second Grand Final this season and finished second behind the undefeated Southern Saints.
Originally from Australia, Matt has an extensive background in junior Coaching with Brisbane based clubs Coorparoo and Morningside and is the current head coach of the University Cougars in the Canterbury AFL league.
Having been involved in the game in both a playing and coaching capacity for over 35 years, Matt brings a wealth of experience and game knowledge to the Premiership.
“My aim is to add value to each and every one of the players in my team, as well as provide them with an enjoyable and rewarding experience from our time together. Success should not always be judged by tangible results evident, but intangible reactions and actions shown by the persons you have interacted with.”
The 2020 Runners up will be aiming to create a strong team culture that leads to the ongoing improvement of its team members throughout the 2021 season.
- The Auckland AFL Club, the North Shore Tigers will target the support of their players as they push for higher honours in 2024
- Shakers secure experienced premiership campaigners
- Brisbane run it home in the fourth quarter to win second title
- Community Matter helping AFL New Zealand provide opportunities to youth in the Northland region.
- Counties youth gaining more sporting opportunities thanks to the support of Community Matter